Skip to main content

Walking, Walking, Walking...

Today I looked at a map and navigated myself to a pet store to look for something special for Cheesey. The largest store with the best reviews on google was 4 miles away from my hotel.  While looking carefully at the streets on the map, I found that there's another photography museum/gallery very close to the pet store. So now I had to go. I decided to give it a try.

I walked further than no tourist dared to go. Slowly, one tourist at a time, they all fell to the wayside as real Germany emerged. Not one street-side restaurant, no signs in english pointing to main attractions, no Starbucks or McDonalds, only worker looking people driving vans, unloading trucks, and carrying briefcases, only german speaking people around me. I eventually asked someone if I was on Shönhauserstraße, of course in minimal words and maximum gestures. He said, "Ja." and indeed I was on the right street and I found the place I was looking for. Even though it was cloudy and drizzling, I was hot and sweaty from the walk. The pet store was basically a smaller version of Petsmart, and didn't have anything special. I was very sad. And even worse was that the Forum für Fotografie was closed! I was so disappointed again! It opened several hours later, and there was nothing to do around that area so I had no choice to go back to the safety of tourist land.

A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on

On my long walk back I stopped at the Lindt Chocolate Museum. It was pretty fun. I learned a lot about chocolate growing and harvesting. How it was considered the food of the gods, and how there were many trade wars and battles over chocolate. Chocolate only grows in very hot tropical areas and they had an actual botanical garden greenhouse room that was extremely hot and humid with many of the real chocolate plants growing in there. It was fun, but too hot to stay for long. They had a room that looked like a vintage shop with all sorts of boxes of chocolate from history. Chocolate box design haha. They had a typical factory room with conveyor belts carrying little balls of chocolate and sliding down little ramps getting bagged. It was fun. They had a great gift store with, of course, a million kinds of chocolate, in a million shapes. I enjoyed it all.

Then I went to the Ludwig Museum of Modern Art which is right in front of the Dom cathedral. I think this makes museum 15, but I've lost count. It was pretty cool because I actually saw stuff I recognized from books and the internet. I saw Rothko's and Jackson Pollocks and about 30 Picassos. Also, there was a very cool Photography exhibit of Henri Cartier Bresson. Stuff is so much cooler in real life than it is in a book or on a computer. I wonder if digital photography has the same in-person impact. Because when you see a Picasso and you know that his hand actually touched it and worked with the canvas, it gives it some presence. But what did the photographer do with a digital print? The photos made in the dark room still have that presence because you know the photographer held the paper and worked it by hand. I'm not sure if digital has the same impact, but I'm hoping it does. I hope we photographers can come up with something so that it can still have the same impact in person.

A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on
All in all, I bet I walked over 10 miles today. For lunch, I was brave and stopped at street-food stand and had authentic Bratwurst: a giant foot-long hot dog that doesn't fit into a small round french bread dinner roll. But what an amazing sausage/hotdog it was.

Then in the evening Ganesh and I went out to dinner to the famous Früh am Dom, an authentic Cologne Brewery that's over a hundred years old. Ganesh had a beer called Kölsch, but of course, I did not. We both had amazing dinners. He had the pork "medallions" (Schweinefiletmedaillons) with mushrooms in a hollandaise sauce and fried potatoes. I had a turkey "steak" (Putensteak vom Grill) topped with amazing herb butter and also fried potatoes. It was just delicious.


A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Avoid People

The hotel has a buffet style breakfast each morning for an additional fee to the room. Ganesh's company paid for him to have it, but it would be too expensive for both of us to go. He wants me to have a nutritious and filling breakfast so he lets me have the buffet and he goes to Starbucks. Everyday, including yesterday, I get to completely stuff myself so that I feel like I don't have to eat for many more hours. There is even a fry-cook guy that you can ask to make you stuff and point to the ingredients you want. Twice I have asked for a mushroom and ham omelette, to go along with my bacon, sausage, fruit bowl, smoothie, toast, and yogurt. The yogurt is definitely meant to please all the Scandinavians and other general europeans because it has many optional toppings such as granola, mixed dried fruit, toasted coconut, and other stuff. I have discovered that such "Muesli" is amazing, and everyday I have a bowl of half-plain half-strawberry yogurt, generously topped w

Museum Marathon

I was extra brave today and navigated myself via complex subway system to four museums. Okay, that's not entirely true. Ganesh helped me buy the ticket. He also went on the train with me a few stops to show me how it works. Showing me how to validate my ticket and open the subway doors, for example. And maybe he also looked at the train maps and figured out which trains I needed, where I needed to change trains, and how many stops to travel on each one. His detailed instruction made it super easy and I didn't get lost at all. But I was super independent. Really. There is a labyrinth underground filled with trains and shopping malls and food. Who knew. I got a one-day pass for the U-Bahn system and so I was motivated to see all the museums today. The first one I went to was the Jewish Museum, which I wasn't originally planning to go to, but when I saw the outside of the building from the bus tour a few days ago, I thought it looked really cool so I had to go. I might b

Museum "Island"

Is an area that has rivers on both sides, so they call it an island. In a small space, it has five large museums, and I managed to go to all of them today. Even though it was close by, I managed to get myself lost on the way there, but asked a few people who pointed me in the right direction and I eventually found my way. One was a construction worker and he said, "only a little English." and then gestured back in the direction I came from and made a curving motion to the left. It was good enough to get me there. They were the Neue Museum, the Altes Museum, the Altes National Galerie, the Pergamom, the Bode Musuem. The first one I went to was the Altes National Galerie and it had thousands of objects that were from the stone age, the bronze age, skeletons from many thousands of years ago, tools, rings, cooking devices, you name it. One thing that struck me was that people have not changed that much in 15,000 years. People still want nice things that add beauty and conveni