Skip to main content

Sprichst du Deutsch? — No Need

The last Museum on my list to see was the Sammlung Boros Collection, which is housed in a former Bomb Shelter built during WWII on Hitler's orders. There were no takers for the project, so forced labor had to build the bunker. After the war, the place changed hands a bunch of times and now is owned by some rich dude whose passion is to buy art for his collection. The bunker is his private residence on the top floor, and the rest of the floors to show off the art which he changes every four years. He only buys from living artists, and refuses to have an agent or a curator. The artists are not necessarily famous but just whose work speaks to him personally. Because his bunker attracts so many visitors per year, he has unintentionally become a driving force in the art market. One review online said that this place was "so hip it hurts." So I really wanted to see it.

I looked it up online to find out where it was since it wasn't on my Berlin map, and I was disheartened to see that you need an appointment to visit the bunker. They only let groups of twelve enter at a time on guided tours, and otherwise you are out of luck. There was only one slot available during my entire stay here but it was for a German tour. I really didn't know if I should do it or not. How much will I really enjoy it if I can't understand the guide? Does art need a guide's explanation to be enjoyable? How much will I regret it if I don't go? These were some of my questions I pondered. I decided, what the heck, I'm signing up.

So Friday was my appointment day, and I walked there and arrived nearly 40 minutes early. It was kind of hard to figure out how to get in the place, but I found small solid metal doors that were very heavy and entered into the darkness. I said to the receptionist that I was here to check in for the 2:00 tour, and the guy responded after a pause, "Would you rather go on the English tour starting in 10 minutes?" I said, "well, yeah, but there were no available slots when I signed up." He said, "Yes but there was a single cancelation, and it's very hard to fill a party of one since most people come in groups." Can you believe it? There was this magical opening just for me on the English tour. And I sure am glad because I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much if I didn't know the stories behind the work, and the building as we walked through.


The building was built in brutalism architecture style and has a solid cement roof 3.5 meters thick, with outer walls being about 4 feet thick. There are no windows and all the air vents to the outside curve around corners so that no bullets could get it. The place is built to withstand an atomic bomb. It was hit by two bombs that didn't phase it at all and sheltered 4,000 civilians at one point. The guy that bought it in the 90's when their economy collapsed purchased the building for 1 Denmark, which I don't know how much that is, but it was virtually free, but the purchase came with a strict contract of rules. He was not allowed to change the outer structure of the building whatsoever, he was not allowed to change the inside very much and in limited ways. So everything that had to be brought inside the building had to come through the same small doors that I entered the building through. Which meant heavy construction machinery had to be dismantled and brought in piece by piece and reassembled inside to take out walls and do other heavy construction.

The art was all highly conceptual and I don't know if I loved the way any of it "looked," but the ideas behind the art and creative presentations were really something to see. It was definitely Art (pronounced Aht) with a capital A. Lots of such suchness. There was strictly no photos allowed in the exhibit but I made a few in the waiting area where the group assembled.

Some day soon maybe I'll get to add some pictures here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Avoid People

The hotel has a buffet style breakfast each morning for an additional fee to the room. Ganesh's company paid for him to have it, but it would be too expensive for both of us to go. He wants me to have a nutritious and filling breakfast so he lets me have the buffet and he goes to Starbucks. Everyday, including yesterday, I get to completely stuff myself so that I feel like I don't have to eat for many more hours. There is even a fry-cook guy that you can ask to make you stuff and point to the ingredients you want. Twice I have asked for a mushroom and ham omelette, to go along with my bacon, sausage, fruit bowl, smoothie, toast, and yogurt. The yogurt is definitely meant to please all the Scandinavians and other general europeans because it has many optional toppings such as granola, mixed dried fruit, toasted coconut, and other stuff. I have discovered that such "Muesli" is amazing, and everyday I have a bowl of half-plain half-strawberry yogurt, generously topped w

Museum Marathon

I was extra brave today and navigated myself via complex subway system to four museums. Okay, that's not entirely true. Ganesh helped me buy the ticket. He also went on the train with me a few stops to show me how it works. Showing me how to validate my ticket and open the subway doors, for example. And maybe he also looked at the train maps and figured out which trains I needed, where I needed to change trains, and how many stops to travel on each one. His detailed instruction made it super easy and I didn't get lost at all. But I was super independent. Really. There is a labyrinth underground filled with trains and shopping malls and food. Who knew. I got a one-day pass for the U-Bahn system and so I was motivated to see all the museums today. The first one I went to was the Jewish Museum, which I wasn't originally planning to go to, but when I saw the outside of the building from the bus tour a few days ago, I thought it looked really cool so I had to go. I might b

Museum "Island"

Is an area that has rivers on both sides, so they call it an island. In a small space, it has five large museums, and I managed to go to all of them today. Even though it was close by, I managed to get myself lost on the way there, but asked a few people who pointed me in the right direction and I eventually found my way. One was a construction worker and he said, "only a little English." and then gestured back in the direction I came from and made a curving motion to the left. It was good enough to get me there. They were the Neue Museum, the Altes Museum, the Altes National Galerie, the Pergamom, the Bode Musuem. The first one I went to was the Altes National Galerie and it had thousands of objects that were from the stone age, the bronze age, skeletons from many thousands of years ago, tools, rings, cooking devices, you name it. One thing that struck me was that people have not changed that much in 15,000 years. People still want nice things that add beauty and conveni